Thursday, March 8, 2012


Bob, The Ultimate Househusband

Looking back through the 57 years of marriage I can see where Bob has always had a househusband yearning. I think it began way back to us coming home from our honeymoon in the Pocono Mountains, and me dressing for bed, leaving sweater and skirt on the back of a chair, and him saying, “Aren’t you going to hang them up?” We were marriage for one week for goodness sakes!  But that should have been my first clue. I still don’t hang my clothing up right away because I consider it a sort of airing out process. Eventually they do take their place in the closet.

No, he doesn’t arrange all the spices in alphabetic order, or put the canned goods with their contents facing out. That’s compulsive, he’s househusband-y.

Over the years he’s tried to take over the food shopping and there were many times he managed to do it. Like when we only had the one car he would happily stop at the supermarket on the way home from work and bring home the bacon. There were also times he’d come with me to the supermarket and take charge. His—take no prisoners—attitude had me walking two steps behind the shopping cart. Yes, he knows what he was doing, does it well, and loves doing it. He has a coupon collection that is a thick as War and Peace.

The laundry was another factor in his goal of househusband. During the week while he was at work I would do all the laundry. On weekends he would disappear down to the basement right after breakfast and I’d hear the washer going. “What the heck is he washing?” I’d wonder. One time I went down to see. He’d done one load and was preparing another. I went to take the one load out of the washer and he snapped, “Don’t do it that way, shake, shake the wet clothes out before putting them into the dryer. Shake them.” I never again went down to the basement while he was washing.

The dishwasher organization still goes on. There are times when I foolishly place a cup or plate into the dishwasher only to have him move it to a better spot.

He’s a genius at this househusband thing. If only I could have had a job/a career that could have supported us letting him stay home to take care of the house. It would have run so much smoother. One time I came home from being away for 3 or 4 days, and found the house in perfect shape. My friend, who’d brought me home, and was never too tactful said, “Wow! I’ve never seen your house so clean and picked up.” Well, she was tactless but right about that.

Now he’s retired, retired for about almost twenty years and does his househusband job full time. Friends will ask me, “Well, what do you do?” It’s hard for me to answer that. I want to say: all the cooking, dusting, bathrooms, birthday, anniversary and sympathy cards, entertaining, gardening, and decorating but, instead I smile and say, “Just sit around popping grapes and looking pretty. I’m retired!” Actually, I consider myself upper management.

Right now as I write this I can hear the washer going and he’s got the ironing board set up in front of the TV. He’s humming. Eat your heart out girls, I’m keeping him.


5 comments:

  1. I too married a house-husband....and he too gets more possessive of household duties as time goes by. And yet, I am the ultimate dishwasher loader, I shake out my clothes before placing them in the dryer & still have control over cooking fried chicken....I haven't showed him the ingredients or the tricks for that recipe....yet.
    And like my dad....he's a keeper!
    Keep sharing your stories mom! They are the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH...WISH MINE WOULD WANT THE JOB...BUT...SHUCKS...HE DOESN'T....HE'LL MAKE A PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICH FOR DINNER IF I DON'T COOK....HE WILL GIVE ME CHEESE AND CRACKERS...BUT...NO REAL COOKING...WHICH I WOULD LOVE...BECAUSE I HAVE KIND OF FORGOTTEN HOW TO COOK...FROM SCRATCH THAT IS...I HAVE A BOX OF RECIPES OF MY MOM'S AND LOOK THRU THEM...AND WONDER...HOW DID SHE DO THAT? AND YET MY KIDS SAY I FED THEM WELL, EVERY DAY, WHILE THEY WERE GROWING UP...CAN NOT REMEMBER THAT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG...I think I'm related to your husband. I need TOTAL supervision in the kitchen, not to be unsupervised while doing boiling water or making toast. Ohhh, what does food look like before it gets placed on a plate..which is not always necessary, not with sheets of paper towel available. My wifey does all the jobs in the house....except, computer, she is electronically challenged in that job only.

      Delete
  3. beautiful description of DAD! he is the consummate househusband! and it's nice to see you are so grateful ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, BJ, you lucky girl!

    Yes, I remember scenes from the Weigand household. Can still see it in my mind.
    When we’d first met, you invited me to your home for lunch. As we walked into your front patio I noticed a black sweater stretched out on a towel on your patio table. “BJ,” I said, “why would you put a black sweater out in the sun to dry. Won’t it fade?”
    “Bob does the laundry,” you said, with a contented smile. Oh, how nice, I thought.

    The house was spotless, freshly dusted and vacuumed. “How lovely your home looks,” I said. Another contented smile, followed by “Bob does the vacuuming.”
    Bob was bent over the ironing board, working on a woman’s blouse as we passed him in the den. I looked questioningly at you, and you said: “He likes to do the ironing.”
    Wow, I thought, what does SHE do?

    The table was set with all your wonderful china. You then made your famous sandwiches, placed a delicate china plate on the table filled with pickles and olives, and poured tea from one of your lovely teapots. I remember thinking: Well at least she does the cooking.

    When finished, Bob promptly began to clear the table. I stood to help, and you whispered, “Bob does the dishes.” Now I had a contented smile on my face. Does he have a brother?

    ReplyDelete