Sunday, February 12, 2012


The Art of Rationalization

Friday, after a lovely lunch with our tapper friends, Marlene and Rosina, Susan and I went off to the swap meet right across the roadway from the restaurant. First we hit this photo tent with great photos on canvas along with lovely greeting cards and poetry. We each bought a pack of cards--Susan bought a box with a rainbow on it and a beautiful poem. I found a box with a beautiful peach rose on it. Each box was wrapped with a pretty ribbon. "I needed note cards so badly," I rationalized.

Then we walked on through the maze of tents and shoppers, clutching our note cards, and came upon a jewelry tent. Oh, oh! Jewelry. We oo'd and ah'd at gems set in silver, tried on rings, but managed to walk away to ooh and ahh at something in the tent across the way--I've forgotten what because as we turned from that tent and in the middle of an oo! and aah! we turned back to the jewelry tent and both of us--at the same time--spotted a turquoise link bracelet link bracelet with 5 stunning blue turquoise stones the size of quarters set in silver. "Oooh!" we both said in unison.

"How much?" I asked.

"$185," he replied smoothly like I might say $9.95.

 I dropped it like a hot potato, and the two of us pulled ourselves away and walked on. But, as we walked away I said to Susan, "Valentine's Day is coming. What a nice gift that would be for me from Bob."

Of course she agreed. We walked on oohing and ahhing at cute knitted hats, hand painted tiles and more jewelry. We made a complete circle around the tents and found ourselves up right back at the bracelet. Surprise!!!

I asked him what his bottom line price would be?
"$165!" he said.
 "Wrap it up!" I said, rationalizing that I would be saving Bob the angst of having to think of what to buy me for Valentine's Day. How nice is that. I wore it home.
We also made a stop at an old antique shop in Huntington Beach housed in the original family's furniture store looking older than I. Great, wonderful antiques with a small walkway through the the treasures. Old silver plate knives, forks and spoons in a large rummaging box, dishes, cups and saucers, pictures and of course jewelry. Old jewelry. And charms. Yes, again, selfless as I am I bought Bob a charm for one of my charm bracelets. It's an ironing board in honor of all his ironing. We came home satiated with giant smiles on our faces, treasures in our purses, and my arm laden in turquoise.
Happy Valentine's day!








2 comments:

  1. Hi Mom! what a thoughtful wife you are!!!! always thinking of others! I learned that from you!

    Love you....happy V-Day to you and Dad! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH boo-hoo! I wanted to be with you. I could see us doing the same crazy stuff. I miss you and so happy you are busy having fun and spending money. If Bob complains tell him..."there are no trailer hitches on hearses, and no pockets in shrouds" so you cant take it with you!

    Hugs,
    your buddy Dodie
    A Broad Abroad in Thailand, and soon to be released: A Broad Abroad in Iran

    ReplyDelete